To encourage its customers to conserve water, one California water company decided to send out personal drought reports this month.
However, even if you’re not one of Valencia Water Company’s 30,000 customers receiving one, a personal drought report is something you can (and should) create for yourself.
This can help inform where to focus your water conservation efforts, particularly when it comes to the installation* of Los Angeles artificial grass, which can save you 30 to 60 percent on your household water usage.
Create Your Own Personal Drought Report
The personal drought reports issued by Valencia Water Company tell customers how much water they used in 2013.
Also included in the report is the target goal for 2014 — last year’s water usage minus the 20 percent water reduction that Governor Jerry Brown has asked of Californians.
To create your own:
1) Find out from you water company how much water you used last year.
2) Subtract 20 percent from your 2014 water usage; this is your target goal for 2014.
3) Track your water usage every month. This will help you see whether your conservation efforts are significant enough to reach your target goal by the end of the year.
Conserve More Water
Besides the cutting down on the running of water in showers and sinks, be sure to incorporate these more impactful water conservation efforts:
- Follow L.A.’s 3-day watering rule. If your address ends in an odd number, you may water on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. If your address ends in an even number, you may water on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.
- Replace live turf with Turf Now!®’s Los Angeles artificial grass. Reducing the water you use outdoors is the single most impactful way you can conserve. Plus, you may very well qualify for an LADWP rebate.
- Practice eco-friendly gardening, including the inclusion of drought-resistant plants (i.e., succulents and others native to the region).
- Replace toilets, faucets, and showerheads with those labeled WaterSense.
- Check your plumbing for leaks.
If you would like information about installing* Los Angeles synthetic grass on your residential (or commercial) property, contact Turf Now!® at 844-887-3669 or fill out our online contact form and a representative will be in touch soon.